I’ve considered running a marathon for a very long time. Probably at least 5 or 6 years. But every time I get serious about it, I think to myself all the reasons I “can’t” do it. Here are some of them.
- I have bad knees. It runs in my family with my mom having already had both her knees replaced before the age of 60. I can’t possibly run a marathon.
- I can’t run a mile without having to walk half of it and gasp for air so what would possibly make me think I could run 26.2 miles?
- It takes more time than I have.
- I’ve never been able to stick to any fitness programs for the amount of time it would take me to train for a marathon.
- No one would believe I’m serious so I probably wouldn’t get much support. And the people that would support me are so far ahead of me fitness wise, that I wouldn’t have anyone to train with anyway.
I’ve allowed these excuses to keep me from actually even STARTING to go for my goal for too long now. And, if I can’t even start, how will I ever FINISH?
But I’m a life coach! I really SHOULD be able to set a big hairy audacious goal and find a way to reach it. Isn’t that what I guide my clients to do? Wouldn’t it be incredibly hypocritical for me to keep saying “do as I say, not as I do?” I’m just not that kind of coach! I can’t tell you to go out and do something if I can’t do it for myself.
And with that, I have committed to running the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll 1/2 Marathon on January 20th, 2013. Here are a few of the reasons I have finally committed to running a 1/2 marathon:
- This is one of those goals that will tell me that, if I can do this, I can do anything!
- This is one of those goals that will tell me that, if I can do this, YOU can do anything!
- It’s time to stop thinking and start doing.
- I’ve come to the point in my life where I know how to ask for help and, if I don’t get it, ask different people.
- I could stand to lose about 15 lbs.
Yes, I’m starting with the 1/2. I believe in setting goals that are tough but attainable. I’m not sure it is in my best interest to go right to a full marathon based on my current fitness level and time frame to train. Most training programs recommend you be at a level where you can run 3 miles at a time. I can’t run one. Therefore, I wanted to be a little realistic about my overall goals. I know I can do this.
Each week, on Sunday, I will post my progress, challenges, successes, etc… for the week. I’m doing this to partly be held accountable, but also so that you can see that, even with obstacles that I’m sure will come up, I can reach my goal. And if I can, so can you!
I actually started this journey almost 2 weeks ago but didn’t think to start blogging about it till now.
Starting Distance: 1.6 miles as a walk/jog combo in approximately 25 minutes. I’m jogging in the desert with changes in elevation so a little different than jogging on a flat road.
# of Days this week: 3 days this week.
# of Miles this week: 4.8
Total # of Miles: about 12.8 (I wasn’t keeping track at first).
Challenges: So far my biggest challenge has been the mixed support of DH. He wants to support me but has his reservations. Instead of full support, he has made some “jokes” about how far I can go and maybe I really should be going for a 5k instead. I finally had a conversation with him and I think it will be better from this point forward. Alternately, he has supported me by encouraging me to run. He wanted me running every day though, even though training programs do not recommend that. I had to do some research and print out a training plan so that he could see what was best.
While jogging on Tuesday, I tripped over a rock and banged up both knees pretty good. Having bad knees made me worry a bit but I think they are just superficial scrapes and bruises so continued my jog after walking it off a bit.
Success: I bought shoes that were fit to my running style yesterday. I have been told that the right equipment makes all the difference.
That’s my update for the week. I’ll see you next week!
I’d like to challenge you to come along for the ride. If you have a big goal you are hoping to accomplish by Jan of 2013, share it here along with your progress along the way.